The Rise of You Journalism (How to Get an All-Access Press Pass)
Media as we know it is dead.
It's been dead for a very, very long time. A recent Gallup poll suggested that only 32% of Americans say they have "a great deal or fair amount of trust in the media." Most Americans do not trust, and have no interest in mainstream news.
With trust in traditional news outlets deteriorating, and the rise of social media, we're seeing a rapid shift towards what I call "You Journalism". That's right, YOU.
You're the voice people trust and want to hear. You're the boots on the ground for news in your area. You're the next wave of journalism.
- You carry around an HD recording device that can live stream to billions of people all over the world in a matter of seconds.
- You have access to high-speed internet just about anywhere you go on a day-to-day basis.
- You have a unique perspective on current events, and can reach others just like yourself with your news.
What can you get from being a citizen journalist?
Being a citizen journalist comes with a host of benefits. Here's a few I've gotten recently...
- FREE review copies of books by big-name authors before the books come out. I recently got pitched to review a copy of Hillary Clinton's new book "How I Lost".
- FREE products from top brands. I've received everything from essential oils to fitness gear.
- FREE Press Passes to special events. I got invited to the United Nations recently to hear a talk and have a one-on-one chat with the speaker.
- Access to experts of all types and the ability to learn whatever you want to learn from them. They'll come to you with their story, and you just have to ask questions!
- An inside look at what your competition is doing, and the ability to spot industry trends before they emerge on the market. I receive press releases from big PR firms all the time, keeping me in the loop on what's going on in multiple industries.
Ready for all of those benefits? Here's how to get started...
Step 1: Start a website or blog.
Set up a website about whatever niche topic you are most interested in covering and receiving free products/invites for. If you already have a website where you regularly post news, even better!
If you don't know how to set up a website, contact me and I'll put you in touch with someone who can do it for you.
Start publishing and make sure you've got the site looking full and active with content before proceeding.
Step 2: Submit your site on CISION.
CISION is the media contact database used by the biggest PR firms in the world. When you submit yourself as a source, you'll be 'on the list' of media contacts that firms will reach out to with news about their clients.
You can submit your website here.
Step 3: Be a You Journalist!
Buy yourself a new hat. You're a journalist now!
When publicists send you press releases, respond to whichever ones you like and start covering their clients.
When you're done with the article, make sure to notify the publicist so they can share it on their client's social media profiles and press page. This is a great way to build links and organic interest in your site's content.